Broadneck High and Severna Park’s boys’ soccer team had to wait to renew their rivalry because of last Thursday’s heavy rain. The wait was well worth it.

Alex Moore’s goal in the second extra session lifted the No. 12 Falcons to a 2-1 victory over third-ranked Broadneck in a key Anne Arundel County league matchup.

“Our games are always very competitive and very close,” said Severna Park coach Roy Dunshee, whose team remained unbeaten at 6-0-1 and 4-0 in Anne Arundel play. “In the first half I think they had the better play, but the second half and in the overtime periods we were the better team so I think on balance we deserved to win.”

At the 5 minute, 40 second mark of the second overtime, Severna Park senior Meharg Genya intercepted a pass at midfield, then got the ball to Moore, who split between two Broadneck defenders and drove the ball past a falling Bruin goalie Cody Neidermeier from 10 yards out.

“That was just an extraordinary effort by Alex to beat to defenders and smash it pass a very good goalkeeper and it was pure adrenaline,” said Dunshee, “because everyone’s legs were gone by then and it showed how much he wanted to win.”

“I just saw the ball and kicked to where it would go in and that was pretty much it,” said Moore.

The first half was slightly bested by Broadneck (6-2, 4-1 Anne Arundel) which held a slim advantage in the amount of shots of goal taken. It seems that neither team would put a dent in the scoreboard. Late in the half, Broadneck took a free kick from out of bounds. The Bruins lifted the ball to Colin Rowe who drove the ball past a wall of Falcon defenders and goalie Keaton Thomas for a 1-0 advantage at the 34th minute.

Severna Park controlled the ball for the most of the second half. The Bruins relied on their defense, led by goalkepper Cody Niedermeier. The senior had four saves in less than six minutes as he and the Bruin defense defended a flurry of shots unleashed by the Falcon forwards.

“Broadneck’s style is very disruptive, they lot to put a lot players around the ball and pressure you all over the place,” said Dunshee. “They are very dangerous on set pieces and we played into that and commit a lot fouls in the first half.”

Severna Park finally found a crack in the Broadneck defense as Severna Park’s Erik Schuh scored of a ricochet that was deflected by Niedermeier, tying the game with 12:12 seconds left in regulation.

In the first overtime Broadneck picked up from where they left off and began to attack Severna Park offensively. The offensive pressure applied by Bruins began to wane, as the Falcons began to make offensive attacks, only to be denied by Niedermeier.

Broadneck revved up their offensive again in the second overtime as the Bruins took four shots on goal in the first three minutes. Severna Park had problems crossing midfield as the Falcons could only muster up one shot before Genya’s interception started the eventual winning attack.

After a grueling 94 minute test Monday, Severna Park comes right back Tuesday with a trip to Chesapeake-AA while Broadneck hosts Annapollis.

“I think that they [Chesapeake] think we are going to be tired from this game,” said Moore, “but we are going to stay with it and give it all we have.”