Gators top Walter Johnson, which defeated in last Novembers state final, in season opener

A sensational 2016 season for the Perry Hall girls soccer team, currently ranked No. 7 in Baltimore by VSN, came to a bitter close when the team suffered a crushing 3-2 loss to Walter Johnson, last November, in the Class 4A state title game at Loyola University.

When the Gators opened their 2017 campaign, on Saturday, the opponent once again was Walter Johnson and this time it was Perry Hall which prevailed with an impressive 3-1 victory, in the opening round of the Walter Johnson Tournament. The Gators would also defeat Gaithersburg, 2-0, in the tournament championship game, to open their season at 2-0.

The rematch with Walter Johnson was played, at times, in pouring rain. Perry Hall broke on top with two first half goals, the first by Kara Dietrich, which was assisted by Ashlee Wilsynski, and the second by Ryleigh Fachler, which was assisted by Dietrich.

In the first half, Walter Johnson had equal possession but Perry Hall’s backline handled every threat except one with keeper Lauren Gwin making one nice save. After halftime, the weather broke for a few moments and Walter Johnson began turning things around with renewed pressure, finally breaking through with a goal.

Fairly even play followed, as the teams went back and forth play, before Eleni Serevetas iced it for the Gators, scoring unassisted via a direct corner kick, which she curled it in the top right corner off the corner, with 10 minutes remaining.

In the final against Gaithersburg, Perry Hall dominated in a contest that was not very competitive. The Gaithersburg goalie made a dozen saves, some world class, to keep things interesting, but the Gators owned 85% of the possession.

Perry Hall scored both of its goals in the first half, both unassisted. The first was by Phoebe Canoles and the second by sophomore Caroline Warns, who was playing her first varsity game.

Perry Hall coach Matt Smoot moved many players around and emptied his bench after the first 10 minutes, when it was clear that the game was in hand.