MIAA A Roundup: Loyola ties top-ranked Calvert Hall; McDonogh edges Curley in overtime

Concordia Prep, the new kids on the block in MIAA A Conference soccer, made a little history on Tuesday afternoon as the Saints edged No. 3 Mount St. Joseph, 2-1, on the road in Irvington, for their first ever MIAA A Conference victory.
Junior forward Ryan Calheira had a goal and an assist in the win, while senior Zac Chamish also scored. Calheira’s goal came after Mikkiel Graham played a ball to junior Dylan Shepherd, who registered the assist.
The Saints (1-1 overall and MIAA A) rebounded from a 1-0 opening loss to Archbishop Curley. St. Joe dipped to 0-2-1 on the season.
Through three games Loyola Blakefield has yet to score a goal in 2021, but the Dons do now have a result, and a big one at that, as they tied top-ranked Calvert Hall, 0-0, in double-overtime, Tuesday at Calvert Hall.
Loyola was aggressive throughout and although the Dons only had a handful of high quality scoring chances, compared to several for Calvert Hall, they did own their share of possession.
Loyola (0-2-1) forced Calvert Hall junior goalkeeper Nate Jones into an early save. The Dons’ first half strategy was to drive the ball into the Cardinal end and then attempt to press. Calvert Hall, however, had little trouble building from the back and eventually began to assert itself in the final 15 minutes of the opening half. First, David Peters ran upon a through ball as he streaked down the left sideline. As he approached the corner. He zipped a cross to Ryan Belal in the center of the box and Belal triggered a one-timer that Loyola keeper Jordy Eckman stopped with a lunging block, before scrambling to sweep away the rebound.
Moments later the Cardinals (2-0-1) fired a free kick off the post as they continued to amp of their pressure in the Loyola end, but the game still remained scoreless at the half.
In the 53rd minute, Peters got off a left-footed shot following after a nice diagonal pass, but was not able to get much power on it before Eckman was able to gobble it up. Calvert Hall continued to create opportunities and in the 65th minute, junior Ben Madore squeezed off an open shot from the left side which was saved.
In the later stages of the second half, as well as in the second overtime, Loyola finally was able to create some pressure in front of the Cardinal goal and did generate some quality chances, but Jones was up for every challenge as each team had to settle for the draw and one point in the standings.
One of the more physical rivalries in the MIAA resumed after a one year hiatus as No. 5 Archbishop Curley traveled to Owings Mills to battle No. 2 McDonogh. The host Eagles, coming off a 1-0 loss at Calvert Hall on Friday, survived a strong test from the Friars with a 3-2 double overtime victory.
Aidan Ellis scored twice for the Eagles (2-0-1), including the game winner in the second overtime, and Usman Adegbenro had one goal in the victory. Seth Malek had a pair of assists for the Eagles and Jacob Murrell added one.
Curley (1-1) forced the overtime with a pair of second half goals, as Brady Geho and Aidan Diem put the ball in the net for the Friars. Nick Henderson and Phillips Oliveira had assists. The Friars were also denied a goal when McDonogh’s Will Anderson made brilliant stop on a first half penalty kick.