It wasn’t pretty, but Baltimore finally found the win column in the Crab Bowl. Baltimore held off Washington, 21-17, at Bowie State University’s Bulldog Stadium Saturday afternoon, for its first victory in the three-year history of the senior all-star contest.

Glenelg’s Colin Osborne caught a pair of touchdown passes for Baltimore, and Baltimore’s defense held its District counterparts scoreless in the final quarter. Loyola quarterback Mike Fafaul and North Harford running back Brandon Bayer each threw for a touchdown.

“We were in tough spots, but they came though with some big plays,” said River Hill coach Brian Van Deusen, who guided the Baltimore squad. “It was a fun week of practice with a very talented but great group of kids. You only have four days to put stuff in. We had a couple of execution breakdowns and turnovers that hurt us, but in the end, we came up with the plays.”

Trailing 17-14, Baltimore used some old school trick-er-ation as Bayer took a handoff from Fafaul. Bayer threw the ball down the side to Osborne, who brought it in and went to the end zone for the eventual winning touchdown.

“I’ve always wanted to be in the Crab Bowl game,” said Osborne, who was Howard County’s Offensive Player of the Year this past season. “I heard Tavon Austin also scored two touchdowns, and he’s like my idol.”

Baltimore’s defense held up Osborne’s score as Boys’ Latin’s Marco Jones led a charge that stopped Washington’s Crusoe Gongbay (Rockville) on a fourth-and-one with 3 minutes, 20 seconds remaining in regulation. Baltimore ran out the remaining time.

Baltimore’s offense got off to a slow start Saturday, but Calvert Hall’s Adrian Amos helped give it a jump start. Amos, who was Varsity Sports Network’s Defensive Player of the Year, came up with a 31-yard catch putting Baltimore inside the 15-yard line. A couple of plays later, Quentin Ezell (Walkersville) plowed in from two yards out, giving Baltimore its first points.

“It was an out-and-up, and I just laid out for the ball,” said Amos, who helped Calvert Hall to its first MIAA A Conference title.

Washington scored with five seconds remaining in the first half to take a 10-7 lead into halftime. Baltimore went back ahead as Fafaul stood in the pocket and went down the right side to Osborne. Osborne beat his defender for the ball, broke free and ran about 15 yards into the end zone. 

“He made a great play on the ball, I threw it a little behind him,” said Fafaul, who was intercepted three times by Friendly’s Sherrod Baltimore. “He made a great spin for it and ran it into the end zone. It was a great play on his part.”

Washington needed just two plays to regain the lead, then stopped Baltimore on a fourth-and-one from Baltimore’s 21. But Baltimore’s defense rose to the occasion as Gongbay attempted to go wide left before being met by Jones, who’s headed to the University of Virginia, and the rest of the Baltimore’s defense.

Tyler Weedon (Catonsville) recovered a fumble for Baltimore, and Curtis Pumphey (Atholton) had an interception. Linn Worthington (Gilman School), Dan McManus (Eastern Tech) and Long Reach’s Philip Rhoden each recorded five tackles.