Friends School is a Quaker, co-educational, college preparatory school, Pre-K through Grade 12, in Baltimore City. We are guided by the Quaker ideals of simplicity, peace, integrity, community, equality, and stewardship. We strive for our community to reflect the racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, and religious diversity of our city. Friends School faculty members and coaches teach by example, blending intellectual exploration, enthusiasm, and joy. Every day in their teaching spaces, they challenge and encourage students to think deeply, to question, and to seek truth, while instilling in each of them a strong sense of social responsibility, a willingness to embrace challenges, and an awareness of their potential as individuals. Friends School teachers and coaches are expected to model and foster the habits of mind we believe are essential to an outstanding education: creativity, curiosity, empathy, reflection, and resilience.
Context and Philosophy:
Friends School of Baltimore is seeking a Varsity Boys Basketball Head Coach for the 2017-18 season. This position reports regularly to the Director of Athletics, and is a paid, part-time seasonal position. The basketball season begins in late November and concludes in mid- to late February. Practices are typically from 4:30-6:30 pm daily. Friends School currently competes in the MIAA "B" Conference.
- Plan and attend all practices and games.
- Communicate with parents and students effectively.
- Write post-game summaries to be used by the Marketing department in community-wide communications.
- Train, supervise, and evaluate student managers.
- Drive school vehicles (minibuses) to and from away contests, scrimmages, tournaments as needed.
- Attend meetings with the Athletic Department, the basketball coaching staff, and the Director of Athletics.
- Serve as the school’s representatives at all MIAA Conference basketball meetings.
- Organize and maintain all related equipment and uniforms for the program.
- Oversee the basketball program and provide leadership and vision for all teams including Middle School (A, B) and Junior Varsity programs.
- Attend and participate in end of season banquets, Senior Day celebrations, and awards assemblies.
- Work collaboratively with the Admissions Office and the Office of College Counseling in support of our student athletes.
Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
Varsity coaching experience preferred.
Interested candidates should apply with their resume, cover letter, and supporting documents to the link on the school website. A search committee will review candidate information and then will contact those candidates they are interested in having a conversation with about the position.
Last Updated (Thursday, 09 March 2017 22:40)